Organization: Vocera Communications
Contact Name: Regina Briganti
Address: 525 Race Street, San Jose, CA 95126
Phone Number: 408-882-5977
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Site: www.vocera.com
Job Title: Senior Technical Writer
Job Duration: Full time
Our Technical Publications team is searching for a forward-looking writer who wants to be a key part of an Agile software development team. This position requires a strong sense of curiosity and the ability to learn from hands-on work with unfinished products. Our content is deep, technical, extensive, and detailed, and we output it in the format that best suits the material and the audience.
We author in the DITA dialect of XML, manage content in an Engineering source control system, build it with continual integration, and publish it to a cloud-based portal (created entirely from DITA) under automation. This position is within the Engineering team in the Vocera Products Department, and it reports to the Director of Technical Publications.
- Create, develop, and maintain technical documentation to support mission-critical communication products used primarily in the healthcare industry
- Tailor content to specific customer experiences: Health care end users such as doctors, nurses, and patients in a hospital or clinic; system administrators; wireless engineers; telephony engineers; and other audiences
- Document the spoken language interface of Vocera’s flagship communication device (“the Badge”) for non-technical end-users; describe its server-side configuration for a technical audience of system administrators
- Own, manage, and make all decisions for the entire Vocera Voice Server documentation set; contribute voice-centric content to the next-generation platform doc set
- Document other products and capabilities as needed
- Proactively interact with developers and QA engineers, report and open bugs, and contribute to product design and usability discussions in an Agile development environment
- Use self-starting capabilities, a strong sense of curiosity, and technical skills to self-investigate product functionality
- Manage time effectively and work on multiple projects in parallel
- BA / BS in Technical Writing, Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent
- 8+ of experience in providing multiple concurrent deliveries to varied audiences, ranging from technical professionals to end users
- Strong writing skills and expertise in at least one form of non-traditional technical communication such as screencasts and tutorials
- Experience with the following XML-related technologies:
- The DITA XML framework for technical publications
- The DITA mark-up language (ability to view, understand, and work in it)
- Oxygen, Eclipse, or another XML editing environment
- Experience with any of the following is strongly recommended:
- Perforce, Jenkins, or other Engineering source control and build environments.
- Enterprise software, clinical healthcare systems, speech recognition or voice-controlled software, and HL-7 or other clinical messaging technologies.
- No travel required
Vocera has one mission: to simplify and improve the lives of healthcare professionals, patients, and families. Founded in 2000, we changed the way care teams communicate. Today, we continue to offer the leading platform for clinical communication and workflow. More than 1,400 hospitals and health systems around the world have chosen Vocera solutions.
Our platform provides software for voice, secure text messaging, and patient engagement. It integrates with more than 120 clinical and operational systems: EHRs, nurse call, physiologic monitors, and more, with event-driven alarm management. Our wide choice of devices includes smartphones and hands-free wearables.
Vocera Communications is an Affirmative Action Employer committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.